Grapes are one of the popular fruits in the world. They are known of their sweetness and their used in wine production.
Grapes can grow for 25 years or even more therefore farmers with vineyards are so advantaged. They are assured of constant supply of grapes for all those years. There over 8,000 grapes varieties but the most common ones are European, American and the North American types of grapes.
Grapes Health Benefits
Grapes do have a number of health benefits:
- Constipation-Grapes are usually effective I curbing constipation. They are considered to be laxative (eases bowel movement), containing sugar, organic acid and cellulose. Grapes contain insoluble fiber which helps in the build of stool and hence its elimination.
- Indigestion- Dyspepsia is a condition that occurs in the stomach whereby one fills bloated or full of gas when food fails or takes longer to digest. Grapes can be used in such a situation to aid digestion and stop the irritation in the stomach.
- Migraines- In the past people used to squeeze grape juice and drink it without adding anything as a treatment for migraines.
- Eyesight-Grapes contain an antioxidant which fights cell damage. Cell damage can lead to development of diseases like cataracts which damage the eyesight.
- Cancer treatment-Grapes contain a compound known as resveratrol which is an antioxidant and anti-cancer properties therefore reduces the chances of one getting cancer. It suppresses the growth of cancer cells.
- Alzheimers disease-this is a disease that destroys the memory and mental function. The resveratrol found in grape juice boosts the brain functioning of people with this disease. It is believed the grapes have an interaction with nervous system.
- Boosts immunity-Grapes have a couple of vitamins, vitamin A, C and K, which boosts the immunity of the body. It protects the body from various communicable diseases.
- Asthma-Grapes do have therapeutic value, curative power, so they can be used to treat asthma. Grapes also prevent asthma by hydrating the lungs.
- Cholesterol levels-Grapes contain a compound known as pterostilbene which helps in lowering cholesterol levels in the body hence preventing accumulation of fats.
- Kidney disorders-Uric acid is a waste that is meant to be excreted from the body. A time it becomes too acidic before it is eliminated and consumption of grapes is able to reduce that acidity and allow their elimination preventing it from destroying the kidneys.
- Grapes are also known to be having anti-aging benefits, protect the body from UV rays of the sun and prevent hair loss.
Factors to consider when planting Grapes
Before you begin planting grapes below are a number of factors you should consider:
- Location-In the past people believed that grapes thrived in specific regions but times have changed, grapes can be planted anywhere. They do well in a number of environments. The most important thing to consider when planting grapes is that the field should be open and no object present that may prevent the grapes from getting sufficient sunlight. Sunlight is necessary for photosynthesis.
- Terrain of the land-Grapes does well in steep slopes that are facing the south because they will receive maximum heat and sunlight.
- Choose the grape variety-Before you can plant the grapes it is advisable to consult an agriculturist who will advise on the best hybrid of grapes to grow in your region. Some grapes thrive in hot climate while others do well in cool environments.
- Soil-Before you plant grapes consider the water retention ability of soil in that area. Grapes do not nourish in water-logged soil. Therefore the most preferred is loam or sandy soils.
Soil fertility is also another factor to be considered. Ironically the low fertile soils are the best in producing good concentrated grapes.
- Market demand-Availability of market should also be considered. It is useless to produce something which has already flooded the market this means you will run at a loss. When there is ready market you should do a feasibility study to know the kind of hybrid the market prefers.
- Pests and diseases-These factors affects the yield of grapes. Grape farmers are encouraged to be on the watch out for pests and diseases. They should employ methods on how to control them.
- Terroir- Terroir means special characteristics that describe a place. Grapes taste differently depending on where they were grown. So before you plant the grapes define nature of the grapes you want and how successful it is in your region.
Other factors to consider when planning having a vineyard are:
- Plan the layout of the vineyard.
- Apply the correct planning techniques.
- Acquire knowledge on how and when to fertilize.
- Thinning and pruning techniques
The Complete Grape Growing System by James W
The complete grape growing system is a continuous process which takes up to 30 years.
Preparing soil in readiness for a vineyard
Vineyards prefer soils that have a pH of 7.Do you have an idea of what pH is? It is the alkalinity or acidity of a substance.
Plough the soil to ensure good drainage and good air circulation. You do not need to fertilize the soil since concentrated grapes are produced in low fertile soils. Ensure the soil is either sandy or loam.
Propagation is a complete grape growing system where a stem or a leaf of an old grape plant is cut and planted in a new location. Take many cuttings as possible and plant them on various locations to increase the chances of them growing.
Prepare trellis for your vineyard for maximum amount of sunlight
Grapes are plants that require support as they grow to enable them to grow faster. For the grape growing system to be complete you must include trellis or build a wall or a fence for the rapes to grow along.
Grapes stems are usually weak and they tend to look for an object to intertwine them for support.
Homemade trellis can also be improvised from woods and barbed wires.
Tying the vine to enable them reach the trellis
This is done when the vine is still young in order to train it to reach the trellis. This done using a string in which one end is tied to the shoot of the vine and the other end to a trellis this ensures that the vine grows in a straight position before attaching itself to a trellis.
Develop a framework for your vineyard
This involves sectioning your vineyard into clusters to ensure maximum production. You can decided to cultivate each piece of cluster one at a time such that after harvesting grapes from one cluster another cluster is ready for harvesting while in another cluster the grapes are at the point of maturation.
Pruning of the vines
After a period of one year vines are ready for pruning. Pruning helps in maximizing the production ability of the vines. The first production of the vines should not be allowed to mature because it can destroy the young vines with their weight. It is therefore recommended to cut them first grapes to appear.
In year two prune the leaves that could be hindering the grapes from obtaining maximum amount of sunlight. Shade causes fewer grapes to develop and have poor qualities. Weaker laterals also be pruned and the strongest lateral continued to be trained to grow upwards.
In the third year of pruning choose the strongest lateral at least two and prune the rest. The left laterals can be tied to a string where the grapes will grow.
In the fourth year the grapes should be allowed to now grow because the laterals are now strong and can support a large amount of grapes.
Control of pests and diseases
Are you a grape farmer and your vine yard has been attacked by pests or diseases? D not worry it is normal.
For a complete grape growing system you are required to able to pests and diseases at bay. Weed should also be controlled. Experienced farmers tend to know how to deal with diseases by applying fungicides, pesticides and canopy management (improves on grape yield and prevention of diseases).Further assistance on pests and disease control should be sought from an agriculturalist in order to get new ideas.
For grapes to be considered for harvesting it should be 3 years after it was planted. Before you harvests pick a few of the grapes and taste for the sugar and acidity. If the grapes are sweet you can then pick them color doesnt really matter because different breeds of grapes have different colors and ensure they are ripe. Once they are unplucked from the vines, grapes cannot continue to ripen.
If you employ this complete grape growing system you can be assured of a bounty harvest in the future. I wish you all the best as you embark on the grape growing journey I believe it is no longer as you thought.
New Update – June 2019
Growing your own grapes on the comforts of your own home can be a good way to start a great experience. How did I say so? Since grapes have a lot of useful vitamins and minerals it is really beneficial for our body if we will take it.
By having a grape yard on your place you will have unlimited access to grapes which will open up new opportunities for your health. As we all know, grapes can be turned into different kinds of products such as wine, jam, and many more.
However, not all of us are born with a talent in agriculture that’s why it can be really frustrating if you will plant and then you will not reap the fruits of your labor. Thankfully, a product that teaches us on how to plant grapes successfully on the comforts of your own home.
Since I posted a review of this product a lot of people are now enjoying the huge benefits of having grapes that is accessible to you whenever you need to.
Here are the following benefits that you can expect if you buy the product:
- Your overall health will significantly improve because of the health benefits that you can get from the grapes.
- It will give you boundless opportunities to earn income because you can sell the raw grapes or its wine to other people.
- Your knowledge regarding agricultural products will greatly increase.
So if you want to have a unique and healthy experience then this product is definitely a must try.